Day 54 Wild Camp #2 to Warburton

Distance today 83km at 14km/hr average

Total distance 3713km. Donations $6012.09. Deserts 3/10. Days remaining 85

Note to new readers: I am travelling with my bike who’s name is Banjo. I often refer to ‘we’ meaning Banjo and I. ‘We’ have an amazing support team of family, friends, sponsors and folk we meet each day. But it’s still up to ‘us’ to face the challenge and tackle each day one peddle at a time.

It’s 6pm on Thursday the 24 June 2021

We found our Ninja Camp this afternoon after lots of looking after the 75km mark.

There must have been an older track at some stage because it pops it’s head up from time to time and can be seen from the main track. Some of these roads are used by locals for camping but this one looks pretty quiet with no tyre tracks which is a good sign. They’re great for camping because Banjo doesn’t have to cross over too much shrubbery to access the side track. There’s lots of spinafex by the roadside and it’s infamous for causing tyre punctures and that’s not what we want at the end of the day. So we’re tucked away out of sight from the main road but still accessible to get underway again in the morning. There’s been no traffic since late afternoon so it’s super quiet to hang out with Mother Nature at her finest.

All going we’ll it’ll be just under 75km into town where there’s camping at the roadhouse. It’s a secure campgrounds so we will be able to relax a bit more and give the alert mode head a rest overnight. Nice!!!!! We’re just getting dinner ready before dingo o’clock 🤣

We had a large pack visit our campsite last night around midnight. It was an amazing experience. I could hear pups yelping and getting told off by the adults. They came right up to the tent and were super curious, sniffing round the awning and scratching in the dirt. A couple of the dogs were growling at the unusual smells. I waited until one got his nose near the tent and blasted a whistle blow. They must have crapped themselves and kept a very wide both after that 🤣 It was really interesting listening to the pack as they did their thing and I feel into a deep sleep until the alarm went off at 530am. They were still howling at a distance when I woke and I thought about my first encounter with these amazing critters. I’ve definitely developed a better tolerance and respect towards dingos since that night at Cuppa Creek 🤣 That seems like such a long time ago now with every day so full of new adventures.

It’s easy to forget where I am once I set up camp and get into my night routine. I’ve just taken my cuppa away from the tent and sat on the map case under the moon and stars to savour the remoteness and isolation.

Im so grateful to have this experience. Even though it’s challenging and unnerving at times, I know this time is precious and I’m a very lucky girl to be here. Being so far out of my comfort zone allows the different parts of myself to show up and be seen. I love the deep learning and growth that is evolving every day. This was one of the reasons I undertook such an extreme challenge. The learnings expose gifts of experience that help me open my heart to the magic and awe of life. This grounding is foundational and enables life to be lived, cherished and shared with my family to the full.

It was a hectic ride today in the wind. And very cold to say the least. I rode today in my balaclava, snow gloves and thermals with the gortex over the top. The wind made it so icy and it was unbroken along the openness of the landscape.

We woke to a stunning sunrise and savoured the light over a cuppa before packing up camp for a 730am start.

The road early on was great as workmen were grading the section. I could see the bull dust of the older road with the old and new grading and I was very happy not to be plowing through the softer surface.

I stopped after 10km where there was phone reception and called the family to let them know we were all good and underway for the day.

Anthony and Trish from the Health department pulled up to see that we were okay. They were heading out to Warburton as part of an education program for the local communities about COVID. They were interesting folk and work closely with the aboriginal council that regulate the issue of permits to travel the road. Anthony knew who I was and when I asked he just said he was on top of what’s happening in his area.

Further down the track the local police from Warakurna stopped on their way to Warburton. The officer in charge is an aboriginal bloke who was keen to grab my details and time frames into Warburton. He asked if he could call tomorrow to make sure we arrived safely and it was great to know he’s looking out for our safe travels. His off sider is a junior officer from Laverton relieving at Warakurna Station for a stint. They were both super keen and supportive and grabbed our blog details to share on socials. Thanks for your support and safety planning guys- it’s so very appreciated and gives me and my family peace of mind for our travels.

We had lunch at the Yarra Kutjarra rest area which was an awesome spot tucked behind a rocky outcrop by the roadside.

A couple of other campers pulled into the spot while we were there and it was tempting to stop where where others were camped. But we were only 60km into the day and had a stint to go this afternoon. I spotted a camel on the way in but missed getting a photo and footage as a passing car startled him back into the bush land. It was a quick stop as it gets so cold once I stop moving and the wind finds my sweaty bits.

The road was more corrugated for the next 25km making it slower going. I was getting a bit weary at this stage and was taking lots of breaks to break up the bumps. Laurie, Noelene and their dog, Toppie pulled up to check in and we had a great chat which was just what I needed. They’re travelling from Warburton direction and were able to give me heads up on the road conditions for tomorrow. There’s a lot more corrugations with the amount of local traffic into town. But we’ll head off early and manage the distance as long as there’s no issues with the boy. They were keen to get details of our challenge and follow the rest of our travels. Lovely meeting the 3 of you.

All the folk I spoke to today mentioned that Warburton can be a bit rough as it’s the bigger town on the track and attracts a lot of local visitors. The campground apparently is well secured and it’s best to stay within its compound for a safer overnight stay. To be sure!!!!!

Our second camp tonight is well off the road with little signs of car or animal tracks. There’s some scat droppings which I can’t identify.

They’re like roo poo but I haven’t seen any kangaroos for ages so I’m not sure. They may be emu but who knows. For now the camp is quiet and the moon and few stars are all that’s shining other than my head torch.

The night air is starting to get that edge so I may leave it there and enjoy some dinner and an early night. Dinner is my new favourite of noodles and powdered mash potato. I still have tomato sauce from Warakurna and everything tastes great with tommy sauce 🤣 the girls, Kristy and Deb put me onto the recipe back in Docker River and I’ve been enjoying the mix mash ever since. Talk about a carb fix!!! Talk soon xxx

Big PS – This section of track from Docker River is a stones throw distance from the Gibson Desert making the desert count 4 for our challenge.

Published by shecyclesolo

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.' H D Thoreau

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: